[Antennaware] Problems with reception on 1.25 M mobile antenna

To: antennaware@contesting.com
Subject: [Antennaware] Problems with reception on 1.25 M mobile antenna
From: Shon Edwards <sre.1966@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 09:26:28 -0700
I have a 1.25 M Hustler (5.2 dB gain) mobile antenna.  I believe the model
number is CG-220.  I am having trouble getting reception on it in certain
areas.  I installed it a couple weeks ago and initially it seemed like it
was going to perform just fine.  I started having trouble with it later in
the week and decided to check the grounding.  I scraped off any paint on my
car in connection with my lip mount that might have been preventing it from
working as well as it could.  It seemed like it worked well for a couple of
days and then I began to have problems again.  This a.m. on the way in to
work, I tried to talk to my son on 3 different repeaters and had difficulty
getting through on all three.  My son was apparenly able to hear me fairly
well, but I could hardly hear him.  I am putting out 43 W on the radio.
Repeaters are 10 miles away; 50 miles away; and 150 miles away.
Interestingly, the one that usually gets the best reception is the one 150
miles away.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks de Shon, KO3U

--