Re: [Antennaware] Topband vertical matching.

To: "'David Gould'" <dave@g3ueg.co.uk>, <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] Topband vertical matching.
From: "Jay Terleski" <jayt@arraysolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 11:18:43 -0500
Dave,

I have two concerns.
1. The ability of EZNEC to properly predict the impedance of your vertical,
without you having to actually measure it and "warp" your model to mimic the
real world.
2. How you modeled your radials, if using NEC-2.

The well known "trick" of my article is not my idea, of course. The
technique has been used for along time.  Just so the members understand I
was not doing anything new.

But I would suggest you model the vertical, fully tapered, with radials 1
foot above ground using the radial generation facility of EZNEC (NEC2)
Then for the feedpoint use a 1 foot wire (3 segments inside it) between the
radials and the vertical "wires. put your LOAD ( the shunt inductor in the
center segment of the wire.
First just put your source at the center segment and see if it looks like
your measured impedance at the vertical plotted over frequency.  If not,
then you will need to tweak your model to get it close.

Since you are able to use a 4:1 UNUN for your match it must be near 12.5
ohms?  If so you, are must be using a shortened vertical.
Your "LC" network will be different then mine of course.  So using L network
software available on the web you should be able to describe the inductor to
EZNEC pretty easily plugging in the apparent "C" you get from your model.

But instead of going through all that work, why not just go out with an
inductor and some alligator clip wires, and shorten your vertical and make
the match?

Jay