[Antennaware] Fan dipole: similar or identical segment lengths? (Kevin Z

To: kzembower@verizon.net, antennaware@contesting.com
Subject: [Antennaware] Fan dipole: similar or identical segment lengths? (Kevin Zembower)
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2020 10:31:54 -0700
The "equal length" is one way to say "segments should align" which could be different if the fan angles are large. Aligned segments I think is what the math does best with. So that takes a bit of fiddling to determine the divisor # of segments for each dipole. Of course you need to make a good guess at the starting lengths. Close is good enough.

3 segments are not enough IMO as the currents near the feedpoint junction are high. Another rather essential trick is to have a transmission line between the feedpoints. My model feedpoints were separated by 2" 50ohm lines and the ends by 20". This is discussed by Cebik in one of his modeling tutorials. Implementation between feedpoints was a small Cu flat strip, unknown Z, but unimportant for my two 80/40/20 fans, especially since 20m is closest to the coax.

At least that is what I have done and gotten good correlation model to built 3 band 80/40/20 fans.

Grant KZ1W