Log checking question

Subject: Log checking question
From: ve3rmm@hydra.carleton.ca. (John Connor)
Date: Fri Feb 28 15:00:32 1992
Since there are some folks on here who have done log checking for the
CQ WW Contests, I thought I'd take the opportunity to pose a question
to them (and anyone else who has an opinion).

Here in  Canada, we still have a list of "Banned Countries" which
we are not allowed to work, according to the letter of the law. However,
our Department of Communications has publicly stated that they will
not enforce this regulation. As a result, most Canadian DXers totally
ignore this list. (As a bit of background, my understanding of the
origins of this list are that the countries in question have made a
request to the ITU that amateurs of other countries not communicate
with their amateurs. The ITU in turn notifies member countries of these
requests. Those countries have not singled out Canada.)

Now, here is my question. I choose to honor the Banned List, both in
respect of the law, and more importantly, in respect of the wishes of the
administration of the other country. Most Canadians ignore the list.
If a Canadian Contester works a country on the banned list, and
then signs a declaration stating that he has obeyed all the
rules and regulations of his license...what is the reaction of the
Contest Committee to that?

It is, of course, unreasonable to expect the contest committee to know
all of the details of licenses from every country that logs are submitted
from. But it seems to me that a lot of (most?) people don't take that
signed declaration at all seriously. I do.

Comments?

73, John VE3RMM