Field Day Follies

Subject: Field Day Follies
From: alan@dsd.es.com (alan@dsd.es.com)
Date: Mon Jun 29 10:32:57 1992
--------

Yet another preliminary report from KG7EW, the Evans and Sutherland Radio Club,
located at 9200' in the Manti-LaSal mountains in central Utah near Fairview. We
ran in class 1A, low power, and had a satellite station as well. Conditions
seemed to be quite good, and all of the high bands were open with lots of
sporadic E going both Saturday and Sunday. The emphasis was placed on operator
"training", since, for most of the participants, this was their first Field Day.
We put up 3 HF antennas; a trap vertical for 10-40, a 1/2 G5RV for 10-40, and an
inverted L for 160/80. The G5RV performed very well - seems to be a "magic"
antenna, so for an extremely portable antenna, I was quite impressed. The trap
vertical worked well too, even though we only had six radials of varying lengths
on it. One of our members brought up his satellite equipment and antennas. 20
elements on 2 meters and 44 elements on 432. We made about 50 QSOs through AO13
and AO10, all on SSB. Lots of activity, and some good rates on CW. We shut down
between 11 PM and 7 AM - no one wanted to stay up all night. I know that I
didn't.
So no QSOs on 160 or 80. Also no QSOs on 12 meters or 17 meters CW, but we
worked
at least one station on all of the other HF bands, including one Novice on 10
CW.
Looks like around 340 QSOs on HF and 50 on the Oscars, approximately 15 hours on
the air.

Alan, K6XO

alan@dsd.es.com