2 radio m/s for little pistols

Subject: 2 radio m/s for little pistols
From: Ocker@KD5PJ.dseg.ti.com (Charlie Ocker)
Date: Wed Nov 4 18:23:05 1992
A technique that worked well for us at K5OJI during the last ARRL DX
contest was to "ping-pong" between the two stations.  Station 1 would
run for some time period >= 10 minutes, then station 2 would do the
same.  The time period was variable, although it was a minimum of 10
minutes.  Each station would be on seperate bands.  Down here in Texas
when 10 and 15 are open, it worked quite well.

What does a station do while the other is running?  Why, seek out mults
and/or new stations, of course.  We either put freq's in the rigs
memories or took notes on paper.  When it was your stations turn to run,
you would go down your list of stations and work them first.  When you
worked all the stations on the list, you found a clear spot and ran.

Even though your run freq would most likely be taken when it was your
turn, this was not all bad.  By moving around the band and calling cq at
different places, you in effect "illuminate" yourself on a band much
more than if you were to sit in one spot for hours on end.

This method did a lot to keep interest up.  It was fun.  When 2 bands
were hot, the action got to be fast and furious, especially when the
time period was down to 10 minutes.  When things slowed down a bit or
one of the ops needed a break, the other station took over and ran.

Even though for obvious reasons our runs were not as long or as fast as
if we ran constantly, our score was better.  In '91 we did 1664/281.
This year it was 1534/363.

GL es CU in CW SS...

73,
Charlie  KD5PJ                  ocker@kd5pj.dseg.ti.com