W4AQL antennas

Subject: W4AQL antennas
From: GARLOUGH@TGV.COM (Trey Garlough)
Date: Fri Dec 4 12:59:10 1992
> Well, we've decided that if W4AQL is going to get competitive, we are
> going to have to put up some mono-banders.  We've been using a
> TH6 and a KLM 2 el. 40m antenna, but we want more.

My experience at W5EHM indictates that in a university environment that
people cycle in and out every few years and after a while there is no one
left to take care of the junk.  My suggestion would be to stick with what
you have (keeping it simple).

I would consider the following enhancements to the current setup:

 o Get a second tribander (TH7 or KT34XA).  This would give you some
   redundancy, the ability to point a yagi at a second direction, and
   an opportunity to play multiple wave angles (were you to put the
   two tribanders at different heights, such as 50 and 90 feet)

 o Get a second 40 meter yagi (the 2-element Cushcraft is by far the
   most practical choice), for the reasons enumerated above.

 o And if you operate a lot of DX contests, I would consider a third
   tribander (an A-3 would be fine, or a big one if available), fixed
   on the Caribbean and South America.  Once again, this gives you
   an additional direction at the flip of a switch.  From Atlanta you
   will be first or second through all the pileups in that direction
   during contests.

--Trey