fixing busted calls

Subject: fixing busted calls
From: debry@iris1.sb.fsu.edu (Ron Debry)
Date: Sun Dec 6 19:52:37 1992
I agree with Bill, with one small change:

KM9P:    CQ TEST KM9P
G3SXW:   G3SXW
KM9P:    G3SXA 5NN09
G3SXW:   G3SXW 5NN14
KM9P:    R SXW TEST KM9P

In other words, I think that as long as it is communicated between the two
operators that the correct call has been logged, it should be OK.  Often
on SSB, if the other station corrects one letter, I might reply:

G3SXW:   59 14, the call is G3 Sierra X-ray Whiskey
WA6DGX:  Whiskey, QSL

On the other hand, if his signal was weak, or the QRM bad, I usually go
an extra step:

G3SXW:   59 14 the call is G3 Sierra X-ray Whiskey
WA6DGX:  G3 Sierra X-ray Whiskey, QSL?
G3SXW:   QSL
WA6DGX:  QRZ contest WA6DGX

This slows me down a lot, but the situation Bill described really annoys me
(a running station not acknowledging a fill).  I'm sure I still bust
a number of calls, but it's not for lack of trying to get it right.

What can REALLY slow me down in the last situation is when I give the
correct call, but the other guy repeats his call phonetically instead
of saying "QSL".  That happens more often than you might think, and it
really annoys me, because as soon as I hear phonetics I assume that I
have the call wrong.

Ron DeBry  WA6DGX
debry@sb.fsu.edu