Why do we do contests?

Subject: Why do we do contests?
From: SLP9M@CC.USU.EDU (Scott E. Parker)
Date: Fri Dec 11 08:51:36 1992
Kris, AA5UO writes:

>On a related subject, has anyone ever analyzed Sweepstakes logs to determine
>how many new hams participate and how that participation increases/decreases
>over the years? Since your year of license is part of the exchange it should
>be easy to write a program to do the analysis on computer logs. For example:

I thought about this during fone SS.  I didn't opereate much and so probably
don't have a very statistically valid sample but *ALMOST ALL* checks received
predated mine (73).  Here I am a few months from OTC and SS makes me feel like
a young squirt.

A potential problem with the analysis would be guest operators, operators at
multiops and operators at club stations where the check sent belongs to the
station and not the operator.  I suppose you could exclude all the above from
an analysis by computer.  My straw poll obviously didn't.

73, -SEP
         Scott E. Parker   WA7VYJ           \      INTERNET: SLP9M@cc.usu.edu
  Center for Atmospheric & Space Sciences    \     Twisted pair: (801) 750-2975
           Utah State University              \            Home: (801) 753-3924
          Logan, UT    84322-4405              \