N2IC "East Coast"

Subject: N2IC "East Coast"
From: steven@ulysses.atmos.coloState.edu (Steven London)
Date: Tue Dec 29 13:57:04 1992
I didn't mean to imply that all of the "east coast" had identical propagation.
Given a choice of QTH, I would take K1EA hands down.  Although, KR0Y has
certainly proven my point about Texas being part of the "east coast" !

However, let's get real.  You only worked 4 or 5 Russian stations on 80
meters.  That's 3 or 4 more than the TOTAL number of 80 meter Russian stations
that this station has worked in all contests since moving to Colorado
in 1981.  I may not have K0RF, or even W0ZV antennas, but they are
comparable to the typical east coast single-op who is in the top 20
nationally.  Just to give you an idea of what it's like outside of the
east coast, here's what the K0KR multi-single (my station) worked for EU in
CQWW Phone:  CT5P, TM2V, GW4BLE, G0KPW, DJ4AX, TM5C.  That's it !  Never heard
GM0ECO this time !  Not even an IK2 in zone 15 !  Zone 16 or 20, you
gotta be kidding.  This is very typical.  The only time we do
any better is with a flux of 200 and an A index of 25, resulting in a
lower MUF.  Compare that with any serious entry from anywhere in the
N2IC "east coast".

Now, don't try to say that we can make it up with JA's.  Comparisons with
previous sunspot cycles are for the birds.  Gone are the days
of W7RM working 2000+ JA's on 15 meters.  Has any of the non-east coast
multi's worked much more than 1000 JA's on a single band this sunspot cycle
(since 1988).  K7RI was living in the dream world of 1980 when he wrote
his recent article in CQ.  Over the past 10 years, the number of EU hams
has skyrocketed, while the number of HF JA hams has plummeted.

Oceania --- As K3NA has pointed out, there are darn few hams there.  Oh sure,
we sometimes work DU, VS6, YB on 80 meters, but that's a trivial number
of multipliers compared to the number of countries in EU (which is
continuing to grow !).

In 11 years of operating from Colorado, I have NEVER felt competitive in
CQWW.  (Definition:  Competitive - Having the possibility to be in the
USA top 10).  In ARRL DX, there have been three contests:  1989 and 1991
CW, when 20 meters stayed open all night to EU, and 1987 Phone, when
disturbed condx kept the east coast from working EU on 15, but gave us
some JA on 15.

The only competitive, all band, psuedo-DX contest from out here is IARU in July.
80 meters is a joke for everyone and EU only has 5 or 6 multipliers.

Steve, N2IC/0