snake beverage

Subject: snake beverage
From: 71662.17@CompuServe.COM (BILL FISHER)
Date: Tue Jan 5 13:25:30 1993
>The Snake is basically a length of coax (1/2 to 1 wavelength) laid out
>on the ground.  Sometimes it is terminated to match the Z of the coax,
>sometimes not.  From what I've heard, it is supposed to be the "poor
>man's beverage".

>Has anyone actually used one of these things?  I'm looking for comments,
>good and bad.

I tried one of these antennas one time at home through a field behind my
house (not my property).  The thing was about 700' long and made from
RG-59.  Not being techno-ham, I'm not sure if I was feeding it properly
but even with a pre-amp it was poor at best.  My "real" beverage that is
about 450' long to the north could hear things in every direction that the
snake didn't hear in it's favored direction.  Based on my experience...

WASTE OF TIME & MONEY!

Bill, KM9P