More beverage bits

Subject: More beverage bits
From: k3lr@telerama.pgh.pa.us (k3lr)
Date: Fri Jan 8 20:59:46 1993
I mailed off a check to W1WCR for the new cores (MN8CX)  He also has a new
last page for the book which explains in detail the improvements.  He
shows that 160 meter performance can be enhanced by stacking 2 cores in
each transformer.
I am not sure why K0GU could not get better performance with the dual wire
system.  VE3EJ's dual wire has 20 dB of front to back on 160 (800' long).
W1WCR said that the signal gain improves with length (and low angle stuff
is better) but that F/B should be good from 300' on up.
My problem and maybe KM9P's potential problem is with nearby towers that
are 1/4 wavelength high, which destroy the pattern of a beverage if they
are within 1/2 wavelength.  Wire fences and power lines are a problem as
well if they are close to the beverage and you want good pattern.
VE3EJ and I are using the transformer designs in the W1WCR book (for KM9P).
73,
Tim K3LR