Low Band Antennas (Sloper)

Subject: Low Band Antennas (Sloper)
From: KM9P@delphi.com (KM9P@delphi.com)
Date: Tue Jan 26 19:48:01 1993
JoeHi Gang.  I am interested in hearing from you regarding 80 and 160 meter

antennas for low angle radiation.  It appears that a reasonably "good" one for

80 meters is the 1/4 wave sloper hung from a tower.

The above came from Joe (K1ETT)

I have an 85 foot tower with a 2 element 40 meter beam and a TH7 on top
of it.  The 2 el is at 95 feet.  It has been my experience at my house that
the quarter wave sloper is an EXCELLENT antenna.  It is also my experience
from operating other stations that this antenna only performs well when there
is a large top hat on the tower.  I've heard of others sticking these types
of antennas on towers that hold 4 element 10 meter beams and they just don't
work.

By the way, I use 2 on 80M.  One NE and one west.  The difference in signal
between the two on a station such as N6ND or K6LL is 10 to 20db.  The 160M
antenna is to the NW and I don't think there is much directivity to it.

Good luck

Bill, KM9P