Contest Length

Subject: Contest Length
From: GARLOUGH@TGV.COM (Trey Garlough)
Date: Tue Feb 23 22:47:45 1993
> If you only want to operate 24 hours, then operate 24 hours.  If you
> want to operate 36 hours then do that.  The current 48 hour format is
> great for that because you can pick your 24 hours out of the whole
> weekend.  Casual ops like this because they can get in a fair amount
> of operating time without giving up other commitments.

Furthermore, the 48 hour format is more favorable for the little pistol
types who have difficulty smashing pileups.  I made 3700+ QSOs with loud
stations during the first 24 hours of the ARRL CW contest this weekend.
(Actually I slept 1.5 hours the first night, so I was really only on for
22.5 of those hours.)

I think it's during the second 24 hours when the DX stations are a little
hungrier that the contest gets more interesting for the weak guys.

--Trey, WN4KKN (no longer /TI4 as of a few hours ago)