CQ-CONTEST FAQ

Subject: CQ-CONTEST FAQ
From: pescatore_jt%ncsd.dnet@gte.com (pescatore_jt%ncsd.dnet@gte.com)
Date: Wed Feb 24 14:27:46 1993
As contesters we are very much in tune with cycles and other repetitive events,
ranging from the 11 year sunspot cycle, to yearly contest cycles, to the daily
openings to Europe and Asia. Contesting controversies seem to be cyclical, as
well, although they don't seem to correlate to any other observed variables.
They sputter to life immediately after contests, degrade gracefully after
initial outbursts, but continue to flare up for years afterwards.

These controversies have filled hundreds, probably thousands, of QSO hours on
75 phone, two meter FM, and now Packetcluster talk. The bandwidth used by these
controversial discussions has essentially been free in the past, although the
beat pig farmers might disagree. However, as rn warns you when you go to post a
note to one of the bazillion newsgroups on the Internet, email discussions on
the Internet costs oodles of dollars, tying up important bandwidth that could
be used to download .gif hi-res graphic files from the
alt.bestiality.hamster.duct-tape archives.

In the interest of minimizing bandwidth, and much in the spirit of Samuel F.B.
Morse who assigned the least number of code elements to those letters that were
most used by the typesetters of the day, I propose numbering the most
Frequently Addressed Quarrels (FAQ) per the following list. Each major heading
has a subcategory that can be appended to make the particular FAQ session more
personal. For instance, VE5EKK could simply send the following email message: