have we contested too long?

Subject: have we contested too long?
From: oo7@astro.as.utexas.edu (Derek Wills)
Date: Tue Mar 9 13:18:26 1993
        and are running Alpha 87's (1.5KW) we cant compete against the
        New Englanders who run illegal power (some approaching 10 Kilowatts)
        with large arrays.

        Peter KB2NMV

This may not be a nice topic to start here, but how real is Peter's
concern?  I see postings on rram from people who say "When running
QRP I get blown away by people running 1500 watts into huge beams"
when there is no evidence for it - i.e. you can get blown away by
someone running <100 watts and a dipole in many cases and it just
sounds like 1.5KW etc.  Is it just a case of sour grapes?

We probably all agree that it is perfectly OK to boost your ERP
with efficient antennas, but not by pumping 10 KW into a dipole,
even though the latter may produce a wimpier signal.

Does anyone openly use illegal power?  Does anyone here? (speak
up, I don't hear any replies...).

Perhaps there is a reason why the DX Mag continues to run those
ads for 3-30 MHz 10 KW amps every month since I started subscribing
some years ago?

Derek AA5BT