ARRL DX SSB - K5NA Multi/2

Subject: ARRL DX SSB - K5NA Multi/2
From: 71111.260@CompuServe.COM (Hans Brakob)
Date: Wed Mar 10 10:11:13 1993
>K5NA said >   Also used the opportunity to try and do some
>contest training for new and inexperienced operators.  At least two of
>the calls above are technician class and one of those is a code-free
>tech.  They helped in a spotting and support capacity.  I am working on
>them to learn the code and to upgrade.
>
>We (the contest community) are too ego driven inward and we don't do
>enough to encourage these new people.  There is a great source of new
>contesters there.

Absolutely right on track......  We do something similar here with our club
station, but on a smaller scale.  A couple of "experienced" ops will take
turns keeping the club station open and acting as "mentors" and control
ops.  The station is then open all weekend to the "unwashed newbies" to
operate.  Generally, especially during SS, we will get 20-30 visitors, a
VERY high percentage of which are techs and novices.

We also run an annual local "10 Meter Groundwave" contest for 4 hours,
using counties as multipliers.  Had around 100 participants this year, most
of which were techs and novices.  A lot of the calls first heard there are
starting to show up in SS and other contests.

de Hans, K0HB