call area propagation advantages

Subject: call area propagation advantages
From: broz@csn.org (John W. Brosnahan)
Date: Wed Mar 17 23:03:29 1993
   The article that I mentioned about the percentage distribution of top 10
finishers in the CQWW contests by call district was in fact written by Pat,
WA8YVR, and appeared in Sep/Oct 1987 NCJ.  It makes for interesting
reading and during the 10 year period of the study only one 0-district
station finished in the top 10 on phone and none on CW in the CQWWs.
   Based on the observations of a number of the operators in Colorado, it
appears that we are more competitive in the ARRL tests than in the CQWW
tests.  My initial thought is that the ARRL tests are closer to an equinox
than the CQWW tests are.  Maybe scores would be more equalized if the CQWW
tests were held closer to the autumnal equinox.  (This would certainly
appeal to those anti-Thanksgiving weekend types.)  We are really hurt by
the limited European opening when the entire auroral region is in darkness.
It makes our openings on the high bandsy of very limited duration.
   Any thoughts on the seasonal variations of propagation and how they
affect different areas, and if there is any basis for the concept that
rescheduling the tests might help equalize scores?

               73     John, W0UN