Headsets

Subject: Headsets
From: ames@nebula.decnet.lockheed.com (ames@nebula.decnet.lockheed.com)
Date: Thu Mar 18 15:27:13 1993
This is perhaps an old question for many, but since I'm relatively new
at contesting, I have a question on Headsets.  I used some old Telex
headset for the ARRL SSB DX contest that I was able to borrorw.  The XYL
had really been complaining about the static, etc. and the QRM from the
kids from my TVI has really been something.  Net result was I was able to
operate as long as there was propagation (getting thru for a QSO was something
else, however).  This was the first time using headsets.

Question: is there really much of a difference in headsets? Clearly, they
ought to be a communications type rather than Hi-Fi due to bandwidth, and
lighter might be better.  That much is clear.  I had been thinking of the
David Clark brand, which I liked when taking flying lessons, but they are
in the $220 range for the H10-20s.  Now they have the new lightweight
model, H10-13.4 which look even better based on the specs.  I have to
return the Telex after the CQ WPX Phone contest, and will have to do
something then.

Alan, N2ALE/6