No subject

Subject: No subject
From: price@cod.nosc.mil (James N. Price)
Date: Fri Mar 26 08:31:19 1993
-------

>Field Day is *not* an contest, it *is* an operating event.

Well, I think FD qualifies as a 'contest' by most metrics.  The
only element lacking is that there are no awards for first place,
etc.  But we make QSOs, earn points, AND get listed IN ORDER from
biggest score to lowest in QST.  Does that not a contest make?

Yes, it's an operating event, but most of my experiences in FD
have been pretty serious about maxing-out on score.  I ran QRP FDs
for 3 years here in the San Diego area in the mid-'80s, doing
everything possible to squeak out bonus points, solar multiplier,
etc.  And we were in the top 10 for our class each year.

FD is what you make it, but one approach is to go for the gold!
(Even though there isn't any gold).

--Jim, K6ZH
-------