Final QSL

Subject: Final QSL
From: hwardsil@seattleu.edu (Ward Silver)
Date: Sun Mar 28 11:38:53 1993
DE: N0AX, Ward

It would seem to me that giving some positive confirmation of receipt by the
running station would accomplish two things:
a) release the calling station unambiguously, and
b) give a "sync" pulse to the pile and establish rhythm.

If the calling station isn't sure all is well, they will sometimes ask for
repeat, screwing up the established pattern of operating.  At NH6T during
ARRL CW, except in the highest rate intervals, I got a much better sustained
rate by being consistent and sending "TU NH6T".  It only took one or two
unnecessary requests for extra confirmation before the pile lost rhythm and
the rate dropped.

I think keeping order and rhythm are of primary importance in maintaining
(not necessarily maximizing) rate.  We broke the pattern in times where we
got a loud, medium-sized pile of known good ops who could follow an accel-
erated, less verbose method, but that would only last for a minute or two,
tops.  Then it was back to the consistent pattern.

When I'm the callee, I don't like not knowing if my info was copied OK or
not...especially when operating QRP on the low bands or some such.

Ward

P.S. - I sure like the "dit...dit-dit" method of checking the frequency.
Much better than the longer "QRL?" or even "?".