reply before message

Subject: reply before message
From: GARLOUGH@TGV.COM (Trey Garlough)
Date: Tue Mar 30 16:42:56 1993
> Today I got a reply to the CQWW Award message 6 hours before I got the
> original message.  Is it something I said?

The machine TGV.COM has multiple mail queues and processes the messages
asynchronously (such as the 200-some-odd outgoing messages that are
generated by someone sending an incoming message to CQ-CONTEST@TGV.COM).
This means that it's possible for a message to be posted to the list and
for someone to receive it right away and reply, and for others to
receive the reply before receiving the initial message.

In addition, our development machines (including TGV.COM, the one that
processes the mail) were off the net a couple of hours last night for a
software upgrade.  This could increase the time lag.  Plus, consider the
possibility that *your* machine could have been off the net for some time
after we came back on the air, or maybe there was a piece of the network
was down, or whatever.

--Trey