Re. KT34A Refurb.

Subject: Re. KT34A Refurb.
From: UUPETE@MARS.LERC.NASA.GOV (UUPETE@MARS.LERC.NASA.GOV)
Date: Tue Apr 20 15:58:37 1993
Kevin NC6U writes:
>I recently acquired a used KT-34A, which I proceeded to disassemble and clean
>off all the accumulated smog/gunk.  When I put it back together, I noticed
>that many of the shorting straps would not clamp tightly to the tubing, even
>though the nuts were tightened all the way on the screws.

I had exactly the same problem when I rebuilt a KT-34XA last year.
What I did was to use Aluminum pop rivets to pin the shorting straps
as well as lots of other places where I was worried about a good connection.
I also reinforced each element by sleeving a second piece of tubing into each
element starting at the boom and ending where the linear loading
assembly attached (72" if I remember right).  So far it works fine; but
its only been up one winter.

73's Pete N8ATR