Undeliverable Mail

Subject: Undeliverable Mail
From: jjmhome!transfer!TGV.COM!Mailer@transfer.stratus.com (jjmhome!transfer!TGV.COM!Mailer@transfer.stratus.com)
Date: Wed Apr 28 17:06:19 1993
Start of returned message

  From: "Fred Hopengarten" <k1vr!k1vr@transfer.stratus.com>
  To: jjmhome!transfer!lectroid.sw.stratus.com!uunet!analog.com!Doug.Grant
  Cc: cq_contest@TGV.COM
  Subject:   Cheating

  One of these days I'll figure out how to respond to the entire reflector.
This message is going to you alone, although you may reflectorize it if you
like.

  Let me suggest a strategy which is a 30 degree vector off of a straight
confrontation with "the offender."  Confront, but leave open a back door, an
escape hatch, a way out, or, as Oriental tradition would have it, a way to
"save face."

  Dear [Offender]:

        Fabulous contest wasn't it?  I sure had a great time in [not your
category].

        Over the course of the contest, several of us noticed that

  [alternative #1]

  you seemed to have the uncanny ability to find the multipliers which had just
appeared on packet, and to achieve a multiplier equal to those using packet,
while remaining in the single op category.  Would you be available to give a
talk at the club as t
  how you did that?  We're all interested in your multiplier hunting techniques.

  [alternative #2]

  you were unusually loud on 160, 80 and 40, for a five watt station, enjoying
unusual success in pileups.  Would you be available to give a talk at the club
as to how you did that?  We're all interested in your antenna farm.

  [alternative #3]

  you were able to hold 14.151.7 while also running on and holding 21.201.7
Sunday morning from 9 am until noon.  Given the rule on just one signal on the
air at a time, we were wondering:  Would you be available to give a talk at the
club as to how you d
id
   that?  We're all interested in your station set up.  For example, are you
using an octopus?  Could you share the schematic?

        K2XA is program chairman this year, and is looking for speakers.  May I
forward your name?

                                        Sincerely,

                                        Fred

  Comments:  (1) [Offender] is accused of being a wonderful op or engineer, not
of cheating.  (2) It is likely that nothing will happen with respect to this
year's submission, but he'll probably not cheat the same way next year, as
he'll know that the who
le
   world is watching.  (3) This method accounts for the possibility that the
second hand information from a usually reliable source could be wrong.  After
all, [Offender] may really have a 13 element wire Yagi on a 967 foot boom.
  --
  Fred Hopengarten K1VR
  Six Willarch Road, Lincoln, MA 01773-5105

End of returned message