100 Watt Contesting

Subject: 100 Watt Contesting
From: n2ic@bighorn.dr.att.com (n2ic@bighorn.dr.att.com)
Date: Fri May 14 14:13:39 1993
For domestic contests, such as SS, a 100 watt power limit will clearly do
the job.  The issue of contest participation is another issue.  Allegedly,
the playing field will be made more level.  The 100 watt guys will
feel like they have more of a chance to compete.  On the other hand, there
will be fewer categories to compete in, discouraging participatation.  (Remember
one of the arguments for a 24 hour DX contest category - more categories = more
participation ?).  Is this what we want ?

Look at the 100 watt category results for the past few years.  Until the
KM9P/N5RZ/etc. super ops (operating at good stations) started entering, the low
power top 10 was dominated by people who were handicapped either through
operating skill, station performance, or geography.  These guys won't have
a chance once the K5ZD's take over the 100 watt category.

This 100 watt category issue just sounds like a case of the 30-something year
old high power superstars of the 1980's being bored, and looking for a new
challenge. Let's face it, as long as there is a high power category, the
prestige of winning a low power category is diminished.  I bet you can name 5
or more of the perennial high power winners in any major contest.  How many of
the perennial low power winners can you name ?

In reality, I expect that this discussion will become a moot point in the
next few years.  The paranoia associated with the possible health effects
of RF will force the FCC to "do something about hams".  That something will
be at least a 10 dB reduction in legal power output.

Enough ramblings from that "crazy N2IC/0".  Maybe 12 years in Colorado has
warped my thinking !

Steve