recognition vs equalization

Subject: recognition vs equalization
From: Kenny=Manchester%NetSrv%Sys=Hou@bangate.compaq.com (Kenny=Manchester%NetSrv%Sys=Hou@bangate.compaq.com)
Date: Thu May 20 15:43:38 1993
I concur with the opinions that suggest more recognition for
the record efforts, especially for the little guys.

But-

I believe that the key issue is the need for equalizing the
field through some sort of handicap system.  Take golf, for
example, I play against people many times more experienced,
talented, and better equipped than me...and I can win!

I realize that this has been suggested a thousand times
before, but I think that we have the data and the technology
to really put something together.

My personal experience:

I kinda lost the flame when most of my local buddies moved
away over the past couple years (TDXS). Because they were
local, we learned from experience that we were of similar
skill levels.  We also knew what hardware was being
used.  Little by little, competition heated up between us
and activity was high.  Things were good because we were
able to work against each other even though we didn't have a
prayer of a top ten.  .

If there were a way to have a similar assessment of people
around the country, or the world, that would be great.  I
believe that a handicap system would allow all operators to
compete in a very fair way.

I suggest that the system take into account 3 things:
(Each having appropriate weighting)

1.      Station Geography
2.      Operator activity and results over 3 years
3.      Simple ERP Rating based on Ant.and Power

In my mind there are several sub-components which would be
addressed in each of the three areas above. For example,
decaying averages over time would be used with weighting to
compute number 2.  The data would be collected from
published, verifiable data where available.  Other info
would be Operator supplied, and certified with signatures of
two other operators (to ensure proper understanding of the
rules ofcourse).  Profiles would be maintained on an ongoing
basis to account for station changes, etc.

Golf analogy?
My thinking is that the above could be used like the Sony
rankings in Golf.  The handicap system could be created by a
committee (PGA) and possibly maintained by any of a number
of groups (Golf Clubs around the world and the USGA).

I would be willing to put time into creating such a system
if sponsorship was broad enough and others wanted to get
serious on this topic.  I am confident that a handicap
system would increase participation from the otherwise
casual operators in the Ham world, because they could
compete on more even ground.

Does the future of contesting have room for a minor league,
a major league, batting averages, league pennants, and a
world series?

de nz5i