SIMTEL20 Script

Subject: SIMTEL20 Script
From: K2MM@MasPar.COM (K2MM@MasPar.COM)
Date: Fri Jul 23 16:36:35 1993
Jim/WA6SDM posted a neat little script for getting files from SIMTEL20.
Jim is fortunate to be using HP UNIX which *does* have the command
"/usr/bin/mailx".  Most other UNIX's do not.  If that's you, then try
the following two-line script.  I put it in a file called "simtel.csh".

> #! /bin/csh -f
> echo "/PDGET MAIL $1 ( UUENCODE" | mail listserv@vm1.nodak.edu

I tried using it to get the DKEY.ARC file listed below by Andy/KA1GD
and recommended by Bob/K2PH:

> But one of the following PD utils from SIMTEL20.Army.Mil anonymous FTP
> site (in the PD1:[MSDOS.KEYBOARD] directory may help accomplish what
> you're looking to do under CT...Check out
> . . .
> DKEY.ARC      B   20582  871027  Keyboard redefinition
> . . .

As per Jim's example, the "[" and "]" characters in the directory name
need to be changed to  "<" and ">".  I executed the command

> simtel.csh "PD1:<MSDOS.KEYBOARD>DKEY.ARC"

which caused the following mail to be sent on my behalf:

> From K2MM Fri Jul 23 14:55:57 1993
> To: listserv@vm1.nodak.edu
>
> /PDGET MAIL PD1:<MSDOS.KEYBOARD>DKEY.ARC ( UUENCODE

I got the following acknowledgement almost immediately:

> From: BITNET list server at NDSUVM1 (1.7f) <LISTSERV@VM1.NoDak.EDU>
> Subject:      Output of your job "K2MM"
> To: K2MM
>
> > /PDGET MAIL PD1:<MSDOS.KEYBOARD>DKEY.ARC ( UUENCODE
> Request for PD:<MSDOS.KEYBOARD>DKEY.ARC queued for processing
>
> Summary of resource utilization
> -------------------------------
>  CPU time:        0.327 sec                Device I/O:    91
>  Overhead CPU:    0.042 sec                Paging I/O:     2
>  CPU model:        9121                    DASD model:  3380

And 10 minutes later (maybe less), the uu-encoded program came through:

> To: K2MM
> From: "Archive Server" <TRICKLE@VM1.NoDak.EDU>
> Subject:  Part 1/1 DKEY.ARC PD:<MSDOS.KEYBOARD>
>
> The file PD:<MSDOS.KEYBOARD>DKEY.ARC  has been uuencoded before being sent.
> After combining the 1 parts with the mail headers
> removed, you must run the file through a decode program.
> ------------ Part 1 of 1 ------------
> begin 600 DKEY.ARC
> M&@A$2RY#3TT`(R,C(R,C.@@``/D,VEW$QV4(```,Z:H9``#I``$``*P=($C`
> [lines deleted]
> M?K+G1)]047X*P9\`U:A@9&I0ZW2E"`K]Z&*XY%"(8F>E+57`17WIA(KJ`"PY
> K;<A.2ZI4R05$`P"`A!@`&@`:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&@7H
> `
> end
> -------- End of part 1 of 1 ---------

It is not necessary to remove the header/trailer lines from the message
before uu-decoding it.  (This may not be true if the file comes through
in two or more parts.)  I put the message in a file called "dkey.arc.uu"
and executed the command

> uudecode dkey.arc.uu

which caused the file DKEY.ARC to appear in the current directory.  The
file "dkey.arc.uu" does not get deleted.  Pretty painless, I'd say.
Thanks, Jim.  73.  --John/K2MM