Received Audio at N6TR

Subject: Received Audio at N6TR
From: tree@cmicro.com (Larry Tyree)
Date: Wed Jul 28 17:42:36 1993
In the sweepstakes, I use two radios.  The way the audio is handled might
be of interest.  Mark, WA6OTU and I have always used big stereo amps and
speakers or headphones to process our audio.

I use an old Radio Shack stereo mixer.  Mine has inputs for two turntables
and one tape deck (also two microphones which I don't use).  The CERAMIC
input for the turntables works fine with my receiver outputs (yes, the
speaker output).

So, I use three of the slide pots: One has the run rig in both channels,
one has the run rig only on the right channel, and the third has the
S&P rig in the left channel.  I find it much easier to listen to two
radios when they are separated in the stereo image.  I also set them up for
radically different CW offsets.  I also typically have the S&P rig at a
lower volumne level so that if someone answers me on the run rig, it
drowns out the S&P rig.

The output of the mixer goes to a good stereo amp with a metal case.  Some
ferrites are used to get rid of RF on speaker lines.  I either use headphones
or two Koss mini-speakers.  These are good speakers that can handle lots of
power and they don't rattle.  I think they were about $100 for the pair, but
they were well worth it.

By adjusting the three pots, I can go from having the run rig in both ears
to having the S&P rig in the left ear, and the run rig in the right ear, or
press the mono switch on the mixer and have them both in the center with
whatever relative volume I want.

If you have the run rig in the right ear and S&P rig in the left ear, I like
to move the run rig towards the center of the stereo image some by mixing
in a little of the left and right run rig channel.

The mixer needs to be near the rigs so you can make lots of adjustments.
Having rigs that don't create sidetones when you don't want them is
required (Why didn't Kenwood make the CW sidetone go on/off with the monitor
switch on my 850?????).

Tree  N6TR
tree@cmicro.com