Robots

Subject: Robots
From: engle@wdl.loral.com (David Engle)
Date: Thu Jul 29 23:49:00 1993
The recent flurry of activity in response to the sprint contest rules
(in particular the Human participation part) has got me to thinking.

How about a rule change to specifially allow a "Robot only" station
in a contest?  Pick a contest: domestic, Sweepstakes, sprint;
international, CQWW, IARU.  Then lobby the committee to allow a robot
only station.

At the moment I can only see a CW or RTTY robot station.  This is
only because I can't figure out how to have a voice recognition for
a SSB robot with today's technology.  Potential rules for the robot
station entry could be along the following lines:

1) The robot should have a unique identifier appended to the
call sign.  e.g., /rbt or /r.

2) The robot is required to be available for QSO at least 50%
of the contest time period.  (Make the robot robust but still allow
a human to be nearby monitoring its progress [or for break down].)

3) The robot is not allowed to spend more than 25% of its "available
for QSO" time CQing.  (Keep from having 2,000 robots gobbling up the
whole band doing nothing but CQing).

4) The robot is required to initiate, complete, and log each
contact without human intervention.

5) Within the robots ability to discern individual call signs the
robot will not [band] dupe other contestants. (i.e., the robot won't
work the same station each pass through the band when in S&P mode.)

6) Human intervention is allowed to: set power levels, rotate antennas,
decide when to initiate band changes, and start and terminate operation
of the robot.

7) A control operator is required in attendance to insure compliance
with national communications authority rules and regulations.

At least initially the contest organizers could suggest an exchange
for the robot contacts.  This would increase the initial success
rate for the robots as they could extract the required exchange more
easily, than without a pro forma QSO.

That ought to be enough to start the ball rolling.  I am sure these
tenative rules could be refined.  Everything else should be allowed.
For instance, the non-CQing time could be spent following the local
packet announcements. (Now I'd like to see the filter set that would
extract the signal and then the exchange for that one!).

There are lots of technological challenges contained in this type of
operation.  At least initially, robots would work best in less crowded
bands.  Then Digital Signal Processing would come up to speed to help
in the filtering requirements to separate signals.  Which would then
push the need for Artifical intelligence to extract non-standard
exchanges and non-machine sent CW.  We have desk top computing
resources, now, that can address these needs.  We just haven't put
them to the application.

What do you think?

Regards, Dave

David Engle, KE6ZE - engle@wdl.loral.com - 408/473-4419 @ work
Facts, what facts?  I don't got to show you no stinking facts.
These are opinions expressed here.