Sprint Ergonomics

Subject: Sprint Ergonomics
From: Steven.M.London@att.com (Steven M London +1 303 538 4763)
Date: Tue Sep 14 10:48:07 1993
Kevin, NC6U writes...

3.  I took too long from sending someone's call to punching the little
itty-bitty memory button side-mounted on the Bencher paddle.  After a couple
of hours, I finally figured this out and began to use the buttons on the keyer
with my left hand, but this required alot of unnecessary motion (I also tune
with the left hand).  Need to replace the little itty-bitty buttons with big
fat buttons in a better place - pure ergonomics.

N2IC replies....

After years of being "afraid" to use a computer in the Sprint (although I
although I started using CT in 1987 for DX contests), I started using NA
about 2 years ago.

It is soooooo  easy ....

While tuning the band with the right hand, I keep my left index finger
poised over the F4 key (which sends my call).  When I want to dump my call
in, it takes about 1/2 inch of movement to hit F4.

I have the F2 key programmed with : # STEVE CO N2IC
When my CQ is answered, I type in the call and hit INSERT, and out comes
NC6U 123 STEVE CO N2IC  .

I don't even program my AEA CK-2 for contests anymore.

For Sprint running an old version of NA, I am using an old XT clone, with
the "old style" keyboard with the function keys on the left side.  I really
like it more than the "new style" keyboard on my 486.  The XT is plenty fast
for this old version of NA and 350 QSO's.  I hope K8CC hasn't crippled
NA in the newer versions so it still runs fast on an XT.