Effect of coax switch on resonant length of coax stub

Subject: Effect of coax switch on resonant length of coax stub
From: Ken_Silverman_at_Wiget_Lane@atlas.ccmail.PacTel.COM (Ken_Silverman_at_Wiget_Lane@atlas.ccmail.PacTel.COM)
Date: Tue Nov 2 09:29:29 1993
This is in response to Clay's question on the effect of a coax switch for
switching coaxial stubs:

I had a 160m stub and 40m stub handy, and I tested 2 configurations on the IFR
network analyzer:

1)  160 and 40 stubs using a simple Tee-connector

2)  160 and 40 stubs attached to Heathkit coax switch and a Tee-connector on
the Common.

The 160m stub nulls:  80, 40, 20, 15, 10 and is cut for CW

The 40m stubs nulls:  20, 10 and is cut for CW

160m stub Tee-connector:

Center Freq. of null:   3.490   7.025   14.085  21.165  28.290

Attenuation in dB:      21      19      18      17.5    16.5

160m Stub w/ Heathkit Sw.

CF of null:             3.470   6.995   14.025  21.075  28.175

Attenuation in dB:      22      20      18      17      16.5

(note:  the 160m stub will be most needed for the 80 and 40m bands, and this is
where you should optimize the stub.  It is unlikely that you will need the 160m
stub to null out 10 & 15m))

40m Stub Tee-connector:

CF of Null:             13.970      28.110

Attenuation in dB:      26.5        24

40m Stub w/ Heathkit Sw.

CF of Null:             13.730      27.615

Attenuation in dB:      26          24

As a comparision, I tested the 40m stub with an additional 1' of coax on the
end:

40m Stub + 1' with Tee-connector:

CF                      13.420      27.060

Attenuation in dB       26.5        24

The comparison was done just to get a feeling of how a small piece of coax
would modify the length vs. the length internal to the coax switch.

In the case of the 40m stub, about 6"of extra stub length would be equal to the
effect of the Heathkit coax switch.  What is the net effect on the attenuation
in the ham band?  I have found that the 3 dB points of the bottom of the
rejection curve to be approximately +/- 50 kHZ of the center frequency.   Thus
the insertion of a coax switch will greatly effect the attenuation of the stub
in the desired band.

You will notice that the center freqs. for the tuned stubs using the Tee-
connector (the way I plan on using them) is not exactly in the CW portion of
the band (these are CW stubs).  This is because I have found that if you set
the null on the exact center frequency of the first band, you will be WAY off
on the next dip.  Thus I had to balance the 2  center frequencies to optimize
for my particular needs.

The best way to account for the effect of the coax switch is to measure the
whole system (coax switch and stub hooked up together) on as accurate a device
as possible.  I have access to an IFR network analyzer, but other tools will do
fine.

I hope this gives you something to benchmark.

Ken, WM2C