portable designators

Subject: portable designators
From: FOXG@WCSUB.CTSTATEU.EDU (FOXG@WCSUB.CTSTATEU.EDU)
Date: Tue Nov 16 20:04:18 1993
OK... it was a stupid idea.  Hold your fire, I withdraw the idea.

73,
Geoff WA1U

From: Rus Healy <0006147675@mcimail.com> (Rus Healy)
Subject: Signing portable

I solved the "portable problem" another way: I moved back to 2-land!
Seriously, I was surprised at how many people asked me for fills during
SS. Typically it went something like this:

"NJ2L/1? SEC CT?"
"NO, WNY BK"
"OK TU"

I did SS from CT for the last six or seven years--but before that
it was from ENY, which probably confused some people even more!

I must say that I agree with Dave, WX3N, and the others who feel
that signing portable is a nuisance for everyone. If you want to
draw attention to the fact that you're somewhere other than normal,
fine. But it doesn't do much for me, since so many people live
in call areas other than the one their call reflects that you
can't assume anything about locations from call signs. In fact,
it may be a strategic advantage (except in VHF contests) to have
a call from another area. After all, most of the regulars know
that KI3V, WN4KKN, K6LL, AA2Z, N6TR, WX3N, K4VX, K5NA, etc,
are somewhere other than their calls would lead you to believe.

I guess that learning these is a rite of passage in contesting! :-)

--73, Rus