Phone SS Results and comment AA4LR

Subject: Phone SS Results and comment AA4LR
From: bcoleman@hayes.com (bcoleman@hayes.com)
Date: Wed Nov 24 16:21:54 1993
Since some of you provided me with advise, I figured you might wonder how I
did in the phone SS -- BETTER THAN EVER!

   AA4LR  GA, low power

   827 Qs
   77 Sections

   127,358 points.

   22.3 hours of operation.

Breakdown:
  80:   156
  40: 105
  20: 387
  15: 142
  10:  37

Station: (Very modest)
  Kenwood TS-430S barefoot. (90W PEP)
  80: 125' doublet, 45' up.
  40: dipole, 20' up.
  20, 15 and 10: Cushcraft A3 at 35'

Comments:

While I didn't break the 1000 Q barrier (which three of us did this year
during FD), this score is the best ever from AA4LR. Previous best was 106K in
1990. I doubt I'll be in the top ten, but maybe I'll take the GA section.

I wasn't so worried about the sweep. I've gotten a sweep the last 4 times I've
entered phone SS. (88, 89, 90, 92) What I did do was go through my 90 and 93
logs and figure out which sections where the hardest. I didn't worry about any
mults but the hardest 5 (NWT, VI, PR, DE and WV) during the first 12 hours.

Average rate was 37.1, and much of that was S & Ping. Biggest tip this year
was using two VFOs to tune in a second station while trying to bust the first.
After acquiring two stations to call, I flipped back and forth until I worked
one of them or moved on. This kept the rate up while I was trying to bust
through early on. I think I'm gonna wear out the VFO knob on my TS-430. I'll
have to find a radio with pushbutton VFO flip/flip.

Some sporatic E really helped out. At 0300Z, I was up on 15m calling CQ and
managed a 51 Q hour. At 0400Z, I went to 20m and managed a 69 Q hour, the best
of the contest. Calling CQ on 15 and 20 while the big guns were down on 40 and
80 was real helpful. Second biggest tip was to call CQ on any clear frequency.

Best moments were have W3TCI in DE call me at 0330Z on 15m; trying to work
KP4CZ, who had a most unruly pileup going; and working VY1QST on the first call
Sunday afternoon in a pileup (the only YUK/NWT I heard all weekend), for the
sweep.

Weirdest moment was trying to work N6VI/KH6 who was going around by call
areas. I couldn't believe he was doing that. While I was calling, I tuned
around with the second VFO and snagged NH6JC who was just a few kHz up. Never
did work N6VI/KH6.

Many thanks to Randy K5ZD, Dave WX3N, Ralph K9ZO, and Dave KT5V for their
advise. It really helped. I think Randy summed it up best: "Remember, be
aggressive, tune fast, and CQ anytime you find a halfway clear frequency."
That's exactly what I did.

  73, Bill AA4LR