SS from ND

Subject: SS from ND
From: smithb@GF-WAN.af.mil (smithb@GF-WAN.af.mil)
Date: Wed Nov 10 19:34:00 1993
Alternate title - The battle in Grand Forks.

K1LL calls me on Friday evening.  Stuck in town over the weekend,
sees my license plate at work and wants to work SS.

Saturday morning - club coffee.  KB0BUQ adopts k1ll and gets him
set up at the UND club station.  Lots of stuff on the 3rd+ floor
roof.  He gets my SB220 (hasn't been turned on in 10+ years, got
it from a SK estate), my backup computer with NA version earlier.

I warn him to expect poor conditions, high chance of aurora here
in the pre-north country.  It happened, wondered why I forgot
to look at them.

Smoke leaves the SB220 at contest start time.  Art gets stuck with
me, operating A class.

BTW, the UND station is less than 1 mile from my station, smoked
amp may have saved my sanity or front end.

WT0K (aka K1LL)  471 Q's   70 sections   =   65940
missed SC MT WY SD PQ MB AB

ND1H              429 Q's  70 sections   =  60060
missed MS OK SD MAR MB AB NWT

The local junior varsity participants AA0MY - 76Q, KE0A 213?
WF0V in MN

Antennas worked well for me this time.  Very pleased with 80/40
results.  Held a freq on the high end of 20 for awhile, was quiet
when I started, then went through a phase of digital and deliberate
(carrier  20+) QRM.  See ya in SSB, glad there are no major contests
this weekend, ears feel kind of rough.

73 de Bob ND1H

From: Jim Stevens (794-8137)" <ki4hn@vnet.IBM.COM (Jim Stevens (794-8137))
Subject: No subject