Making Things Easier for the Left Coast

Subject: Making Things Easier for the Left Coast
From: pescatore_jt%ncsd.dnet@gte.com (pescatore_jt%ncsd.dnet@gte.com)
Date: Wed Dec 29 11:25:34 1993
Re: Contests that are really WAEs for East Coasters

In Maryland we have limited fishing for Rockfish (striped bass) since we
began to fear that they might go extinct. While fishing for rockfish was
enjoyed up and down the east coast, MD took the lead in trying to preserve
(perserve?) this species.

I am beginning to fear that another species may go extinct, due to the
secondary effects of the Whinus Equalus disease - namely contesters west
of the Mississippi.

In order to preserve this relatively rare but amazingly persistent species,
I am proposing that East Coast contesters observe the following voluntary
restrictions:

When running Europeans:

1. Ask every station that responds to your CQ to repeat his call phonetically
and to describe his favorite recipe.
2. Provide each station worked with the run frequency of a station west of
the Mississippi.

When running JAs:

1. After every second QSO, stop to complain about how much easier it is
for Left Coasters to work this unending well of QSOs and prefixes. This
should reduce your rate enough to provide relief for Western Contesters.
2. Ignore all Europeans that call off the back of your beam. For those that
persist, explain the inequity of your ability to work scads of EU, and
suggest that try to work as many 6,7, and 0 land stations as possible.

Miscellaneous:
1. In WPX, only operate 30 of the 36 hours, taking your off-time during the
EU openings. If your score is *still* higher than that of the 6/7/0 species,
don't send in your log.
2. In SS, operate as many hours as possible as hard as you can - learn to
empathize about busting your butt in an unwinnable contest. If you have been
doing that quietly for years anyway - be more vocal about it.
3. For Sprints, and any other domestic contest, east coasters should see 2
above.

If East Coast Contesters were to observe these voluntary restriction, we may
be able to revive the endangered Left Coast species. If not enough contesters
observe these restrictions, we may need to have more drastic, involuntary
measures:

1. Forced relocation of OH2BH to Japan.
2. Bring back country QSO quotas.
3. Make contacts with amateurs in states that begin with M, P, or New worth
only 2 points to Europeans.
4. Move the ARRL and CQ publishing to Visalia.

Perhaps at the next East Coast Contesters dinner at Dayton we can debate
these conservation measures.

John WB2EKK
pescatore_jt@ncsd.gte.com