Competitor vs. participant

Subject: Competitor vs. participant
From: ae6y@aol.com (ae6y@aol.com)
Date: Mon Jan 24 01:24:17 1994
     There have been a number of messages on this topic.  I'm against setting
up new categories based either on "competitor" vs. "participant" status, or
based on hours worked.  Setting up a 24-hour category in a 48-hour contest
will only encourage those with super stations to try to win this new class,
much as now frequently the "low power" winners are often the normal high
power winners, with  multiple towers, stacked arrays, etc.
     I think a better way to gauge relative effort expended is simply to list
total hours of operation, as is done in SS listings, without making it a
separate category.  That way, one can separate out the gung-ho competitors
from the more casual, or those who had some other commitment intervene to
prevent full operation.  And you can compare your results with others who
didn't operate full-bore.  This would be far better, and easier to do, than
making whole new categories.
  73, Andy, AE6Y.