ARRL contest activity

Subject: ARRL contest activity
From: 00pmbarkey@leo.bsuvc.bsu.edu (00pmbarkey@leo.bsuvc.bsu.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 22 08:29:49 1994
I wrote:

   ... the ARRL is a *lot* different from the CQ WW.  There is just
       no comparison in the level of activity.

Derek, AA5BT, responded:

    The obvious response is to remember what the "WW" in "CQWW" means,
    and that for the rest of the world the ARRL contest is almost a
    local affair.

Yes, the ARRL went WW one year (1977), but then pulled back and went
back to the old format.  There are arguments over the format on
both sides, but like it or not, the ARRL is a US/VE centered contest.

I think that the contest would still have its appeal from the DX
end.  It is not a "DX" contest, exactly, but achieving very high
rates and going after the various state/province multipliers on
all bands can be a lot of fun.

You don't really work a lot of rare stuff in the WAEDXC, and your
knowledge of propagation is rarely challenged, but anytime a zillion
DL's and G's get on the air calling CQ TEST, I will always try to
put in a few hours and try to rack up some Q's.

My point is, let's just promote it a little bit and see if that
helps.  (And maybe give more of an incentive for Carribean activity
by changing the club competition rules).

   -- Pat
      WA8YVR