Contests and QSLs

Subject: Contests and QSLs
From: rrrocker@rock.b11.ingr.com (Ray Rocker)
Date: Tue Feb 22 17:30:04 1994
> Sure would be an awful lot easier if there were a database of QSL managers
> on the Internet in some format that could be interrogated interactively.
> That way I could write a program to throw the entire log at the database
> and do something (reasonably) intelligent with the output, thus automating
> the most painful part of the whole process.
>
> Perhaps someone will tell me that such a database exists. I hope so. If
> not, maybe someone with the resources could think about making one
> available (hint, hint).

Hey, I've been wondering the exact same thing! And I've been meaning to ask
about it too, only I was going to ask on the DX-reflector, then I saw in
the FAQ for that reflector that QSL route talk was a no-no, and ...

I was thinking a two-part system. One, an interactive service accessed
via telnet where you connect and just type in callsigns, and it spits
back any QSL information in the database. Two, a mail server that reads
callsigns from the message body and mails you back the QSL manager.
Similar to the way CQ-Contest-Request@TGV.COM works.

If nothing like this exists already I'll find/hack suitable software
to do it (for a Unix box with sendmail and/or telnetd) but I'll stop
short of volunteering to maintain the database, as that could be a job!

-- ray // WQ5L // who is wayWayWAY behind on DX QSLing
   rrrocker@rock.b11.ingr.com