ARRL DX Power Rprts

Subject: ARRL DX Power Rprts
From: rkaufmn@CC.UManitoba.CA (rkaufmn@CC.UManitoba.CA)
Date: Sun Mar 6 21:49:12 1994

Can someone please explain to me what is the purpose of the "power" number
in DX's reports to North American Stations in the ARRL DX contest ? A
couple of local VE4s worked a certain Italian station with "Q4A" in the
suffix who was giving out "59 100" reports. Yeah, right 100 watts. This
guy is opening and closing the band to Manitoba and he's running 100w.
I DON'T THINK SO.

I very much enjoyed Paolo's (I2UIY) article in NCJ Jan/Feb '94 p. 14.
regarding "Contestmania" and cheating in contest operations.
I had heard of the type of cheating that went on but little did I realize
that it was so blatant. No one can tell me that station was running less
than SEVERAL kilowatts. I have no problem with that when they enter in the
HIGH Power category. However, when I have to compete with them in a city
lot with a REAL 100w that's where I draw the line. This whole thing is a
joke. Is there no way to police this kind of thing ?

To Paolo: I suggest you forget the calculators as an incentive for the ARI
contest. Take the money, effort and time and try to motivate some of your
fellow contesters to work within the rules of the contest. Besides, how
well could those calculators work next to several kilowatts of RF. I wish
you good luck, you certainly have a big job ahead of you.

73 Rob VE4GV