Sweepstakes Log Checking

Subject: Sweepstakes Log Checking
From: km9p@aol.com (km9p@aol.com)
Date: Wed May 4 19:30:04 1994
In this year's Sweepstakes I lost about 20 QSO's on CW due to various
mis-copied information.  Of these 20 QSO's KR0Y lost 7 of the exact same
calls for the exact same reason.

I find it hard to believe that the two of us are copying the same station as
NH, when we lost it because it was supposed to be EMA.

Now, one of two things are happening...

#1:  The guy sent in his check sheet with the incorrect information or sent
the incorrect information during the contest.

#2:  The ARRL typed in the information incorrectly.

One might argue that these types of mistakes will be evenly distributed among
participants.  Three years ago I analyzed four large logs for Sweepstakes CW
and found that of these four logs, about 10% (if memory serves) of the QSO's
were found to be unique in each log as compared with the other three.  Very
few were found to be busted calls.  Based on my study, I think that even
distribution of these mistakes is something that should not be considered
guaranteed or assumed.

This year on SSB, Rich & I were seperated by 3 QSO's after working 2400 Q's.
SS in the past has had some extremely close finishes (NIN & RZ seperated by 1
QSO).  With this in mind, I'm not sure it is fair to the competitors to let
typo errors and their assumed even distribution potentially decide the
outcome of the contest.

I would propose that the ARRL adopt a check in their software to flag
potential problems.  It would be immediately obvious if the computer found
that W4NT was taken out of 250 logs because they all copied AL instead of GA.

By the way, this is by no means a slam of the ARRL's log checking job.  I
think they do a great job.  I just think there is room for improvement in
this area.

73

Bill Fisher, KM9P