Headsets in General

Subject: Headsets in General
From: RKILE@delphi.com (RKILE@delphi.com)
Date: Wed May 18 00:09:47 1994
Guys,
    Regarding the Ft-1000 and Heil Proset audio level problems, It might be
said it's darn hard to please everyone. No intent of flaming was intended.
One can't blame Heil for coming up with a great product that is 99%
compatible or Yaesu for the super Ft-1000 design for which it was intended.
    I might point out that the current limiting resistors at the headphone
jack are there for (1) to save your hearing and (2) to protect the audio
amplifiers from a short when partially inserting the plug. They also allow
the use of mono headphone in a jack wired for stereo.
    Within the last year we have finally started to see some standards by
manufacturers adopted. These would include and not be limited to the
following:
    (1) Standardization of DC Power cables for 12V radios both HF and VHF
    (2) Packet radio interface jacks on VHF radios, with nominal standards
       of impedance and levels.

    Unfortunately, we continue to see meaningless implied statements of 100%
duty cycles on transmitters, various mic input impedances and sensivities,
and headphone outputs with really no spec at all. In this case you have to
try to find a combination that works or add a intermediate audio amp.
    Industry attempts to grab a greater share of proprietary markets
recently have backfired in big ways. (True-Blue...Compaq....) The obvious
answer in a world market would be more universal standards adoptation.
    In our high tech hobby, many things are geared towards cost and profits.
Having sold and serviced amateur radio equipment for 20 years, I might point
out as an example the following:
                                Amateurs would be reluctant to pay $5.00
more for a radio that has "N type" connectors even though they are better in
virtually all areas for amateur use. Budget minded hams might be reminded
that the failure of a PL-259 at 1.5KW could cause several hundred dollars
damage to the typical amplifier let alone down time in the heat of the
contest lest one be fortunate enough to have SWR shutdown on the final
amp.....
    Improved standards would result in greater markets for those who pride
themselves in building and selling quality products. It would certainly allow
me to do a better job, spending far less time on 50 cent solutions to $3000
problems.

                :        "rkile@delphi.com"           :
                :   DXCC or BUST from the DARK HOLE   :
                :   160m    Las Vegas, Nevada         :