Novice Contest

Subject: Novice Contest
From: WA6OTU@PUCK.CALTECH.EDU (WA6OTU@PUCK.CALTECH.EDU)
Date: Sat May 21 17:29:58 1994
From:   Mark Beckwith, WA6OTU - wa6otu@caltech.edu
To:     Contest Reflector

Some time ago, the Board of Directors asked the Contest Advisory Committee to
come up with way to pump new life into what has become an antiquated Novice
Roundup.  The point is, there should be some sort of 'introductory' contest
for beginners.  Hopefully it would be set up in a way that these beginners
would get bit by 'the bug' and become contesters for life.

There are going to be some difficulties here, because we're supposed to make
this event include Code-Free Technicians.  Now obviously, since Novices can't
operate the majority of the popular VHF/UHF bands, and the Code-Free Techs
can't operate below 30 MHz, this could get real exciting real fast.  Kind of
like a basketball game and a hockey game going on at the same time trying to
use the same players.

I am a proponent for two different types of events run at the same time, one
for Novices and one for Code-Free Techs, with separate entries and separate
reports in the same issue of QST.  That way, the basketball game and the
hockey game would use different players, but would be on TV at the same time,
only on different channels.  I guess an enterprising Tech-Plus could
go out and win BOTH if they were really sharp.

I would like anyone who is interested to propose a new contest (or two)
designed for this purpose.  Keep your idea short (I guess you should give your
rules lots of 'spirit'), and put it on the reflector.  I hope that within a
week we have honed something nifty.

Thanks for the help, you all.  73,

Mark, WA6OTU