Call me anal-retentive

Subject: Call me anal-retentive
From: mikemr@microsoft.com (mikemr@microsoft.com)
Date: Thu Jun 2 09:07:22 1994
Please, the cause of the WPX weekend's lousy band conditions was not
a "flare" but a hole in the sun's upper atmosphere (the corona) that
permits charged particles (solar wind) to escape from the denser
region of the sun, which interact with the earth's magnetic field
to cause geomagnetic storms. There hasn't been a major flare in
months, and the sun is essentially devoid of sunspots right now.
For more info, try the finger services "finger solar@xi.uleth.ca"
and "finger daily@xi.uleth.ca." The solar scientists call the
phenomenon a "recurrent coronal hole."