NV6O's Ornithological Problem

Subject: NV6O's Ornithological Problem
From: WA6OTU@PUCK.CALTECH.EDU (WA6OTU@PUCK.CALTECH.EDU)
Date: Tue Jun 7 10:00:02 1994
From:   Mark Beckwith, WA6OTU - wa6otu@caltech.edu
To:     Eric, NV6O

Hi Eric.  Sorry this is probably a few days late.  Northern Mockingbird
gestation if I remember, is about a week and a half.  Once hatched they
only stay in the nest maybe another week before fledging, and once they
go, they don't use the nest anymore.  (It will make a great offering to
your wife for the Christmas Tree).

The gist is, you should climb up there, and without touching anything, see
if turning the rotator actually has any adverse effect on the nest.  You
will piss off the adults, who can be VERY bold, and may buzz you (they have
NO fear - I've got a GREAT photo of one attacking a Bald Eagle), but as long
as you don't touch anything, when you leave, I can assure you from several
personal experiences that they'll just go back to business as usual.

I think it is entirely possible, depending on the rotor and the shelf and the
exact placement of the nest, that there will be no interferance.  If you
learn this, you should be able to turn your antenna in spite of the nest.

About fake owls, I know guys out here who swear they work great, but I think
when you've gone out and spent $25 you're less open to accepting reality when
you see they don't really work (psychologists call it 'denial').  When was the
last time any of you walked up to a wooden indian and struck up a
conversation?  Birds are good at figuring stuff like this out.  Plastic owls
don't work more than about a day.  As for fake snakes - I have no personal
experience to draw from, but I would assume the same thing.  Do any other
subscribers have any different experience with snakes OR owls?

And you guys thought Trey was joking when he drew similarities
between contesters and birdwatchers.

Mark, WA6OTU - wa6otu@caltech.edu

P.S.  Just for my curiosity, anyone else out there count birds?