RUNNING CABLE

Subject: RUNNING CABLE
From: GAMMA!GAMMA!steve@gammacc.attmail.com (GAMMA!GAMMA!steve@gammacc.attmail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 10 17:41:00 1994
I have a problem I've never seen discussed.  I thought I'd collect some
ideas here.

I am building a medium-to-large size contest station here in Central
Florida.  It will have four towers; one is next to the house, the others no
closer than 100', with the farthest out about 350'.  I have been trying to
determine the best way to run CATV hardline, coax, and rotor/control cables
out to the towers.

I figure I have two choices: above ground and below ground.

Here's my concerns:
     1) Lightning.  Central Florida has about 100 days a year with
lightning.  As if
                       that were not bad enough, our lightning is 2 - 3
times as powerful as your
                       average, run-of-the mill thunderbolt.

     2) UV.  The sun is VERY strong; this can seriously degrade plastics,
such
                       as cable jackets.

     3) Water table.  The back of my property is swamp.  The water table is
                       therefore very high.  I can't bury the cable very
deep without having it
                       in a constant state of wetness.

     4) Mobility.  I'd like to be able to run vehicles in the area (for
mowing
                       weeds etc.).  This means that I can't just leave the
cables sitting on
                      the ground.

     5) Expandability. I want to be able to run another run of coax to a
tower
                       without a ridiculous amount of work.

     6) RF on the cables.  Stray RF being picked up by the other cables.

What I have to work with:
     1) A big, open field.  No trees, no walls, no buildings.

I imagine that if I run them above ground on poles, I'd best do like the
power companies do and run a ground wire across the very top of the poles.
 Yes? No?

Any large-scale station I'm familiar with is from "up North", and utilized
trees, old walls, or whatever to make the cable runs.  I've been thinking
about this for awhile, and STILL haven't come up with any brilliant
solutions.

Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.   Please respond to me directly.
 My address is: "ssacco@attmail.com";   If any really cool ideas surface,
I'll report them back to the reflector.

Thanks!

Steve KC2X