Field Day Results from WA3NNA

Subject: Field Day Results from WA3NNA
From: rossi@VFL.Paramax.COM (rossi@VFL.Paramax.COM)
Date: Mon Jun 27 15:51:04 1994
FIELD DAY 1994

WA3NNA  1B  SNJ  -  1 operator

LOCATION : Between 21st and 22nd Street; Ocean City NJ.
           On the beach; About 50 yards from the ocean.

RIG : OHR Classic (5 watts CW - 20 & 40 meters)

ANTENNA : half-wave vertical wire - supported by a kite.

POWER SOURCE : 12V Ni-Cad battery pack

TOTAL ON-AIR OPERATION TIME : Less than 7 hours

FINAL SCORE:
       73 QSOs on 40
       35 QSOs on 20
     -----
      108 QSOs TOTAL (x2) CW  (x5) 5 watts   = 1080 points
      100% emergency power                   =  100 points
      Operation from a public place          =  100 points

                 TOTAL SCORE                 = 1280 points

COMMENTS :
    The thunderstorms never materialized but the winds more than made up for
    it.  High un-cooperating winds kept the kite antenna from flying early
    Saturday afternoon.  Finally (with a longer tail on the kite) I was on the
    air shortly after 2200z.  Operated from the beach from about 6 PM Saturday
    until dark and then returned 9 AM Sunday.  40 meters was much better than
    expected.  20 seemed much worse than last year.  Tried a couple CQs and
    worked 3 stations but the rest were from just tuning and calling.  In
    general I was able to work about 80% of what I called.

LESSONS LEARNED:  ;-)
    Delta kites do not like high winds unless they have a *very* long tail.
    A half-wave vertical on 20 works better than a full-wave vertical.
    Use a dupe sheet next year.  Memory starts to fail after about 50 QSOs.
    You can still get a nasty sunburn even under a beach umbrella >ouch!<
    FD is too short.  Too much preparation for only a few hours on the air.

-----

Pete Rossi - WA3NNA
rossi@vfl.paramax.com
Unisys Corporation - Government Systems Group
Valley Forge Engineering Center - Paoli, Pennsylvania