more on packet spots

Subject: more on packet spots
From: WmHein@aol.com (WmHein@aol.com)
Date: Tue Aug 16 01:59:55 1994
I am convinced that huge numbers of bogus calls make their way into contest
logs due to the blind faith many operators have in packet spots.

I was in Curacao late in 1992 operating as PJ2/AA6TT.  Pileups were modest as
the Netherlands Antilles are one of the most common DXCC countries (lone
exception: I did experience big pileups to JA on 10 meter CW).

One evening, however, I had a massive 20m SSB pileup into the USA.  I
actually had to go by districts because so many were calling.  I thought this
was pretty weird.  This went on for at least 15 minutes.  Turns out I was
spotted on packet as "TJ2/AA6TT."  I was IDing, often with standard
phonetics, after each QSO, yet dozens -- hundreds??? -- continued to call and
call thinking I was a TJ2.  I subsequently received in the mail around 10 QSL
requests for TJ2/AA6TT QSOS.  (Perhaps I should have ID'd as A58/AA6TT and
let folks work some real DX?)

(That same evening I told a KD4 station "no last two letters" which prompted
him to call with his "last three."  I spent the rest of this vacation
operating CW!)

Bill AA6TT
wmhein@aol.com