ICE TELNO

Subject: ICE TELNO
From: bill.lumnitzer@paonline.com (bill.lumnitzer@paonline.com)
Date: Thu Sep 1 14:03:11 1994

 Se> I like the way their low pass filter is built, but the coaxial
 Se> lightning suppressor I bought was disappointing.  While their
 Se> literature claims  the suppressor element is a heavy-duty ceramic unit,
 Se> inside I found a little
 Se> glass bulb about the size of an NE-2, with about 24 gauge leads.  I
 Se> never bothered to install it, and should just send it back.

 Se> Scott  K9MA
 Se> sellington@mail.ssec.wisc.edu

The I.C.E lightning protectors use a shunt toroidal rf choke as the primary
protection; the arc-tube provides secondary protection. There is also a
shunt hv cap and a series resistor in the circuit.  I understand that most
if not all other brands use an arc-tube as the sole protection element and
that failures are commonplace.  I.C.E claims that out of 1000s sold, they
have never had a request for a replacement arc-tube.  Perhaps you should
discuss your concern with their engineer or read their tech note on the
subject before you decide not to use their protector.  The I.C.E factory
station uses these things and is purportedly operated in contests
right through the most severe lightning!

73 de Bill, N6CQ/3  (n6cq@paonline.com)