Why 3 phases mains?

Subject: Why 3 phases mains?
From: Marijan.Miletic@IJS.si (Marijan.Miletic@IJS.si)
Date: Wed Sep 14 13:20:12 1994
Hi Contesters,

As my countryman Nikola Tesla was mentioned in previous 50/60 Hz debate,
I feel obliged to add grain of salt about 3 phase mains supply systems.

Other EU comments pointed that we have either single phase 220V system or 3
phases 3 x 380V.  As you may remember from your rotor control boxes, single
phase is not very useful for driving AC motors so a large capacitor is needed
for artificial phase shift simulating second power source.  If you have more
than one phase (2 in USA, 3 in EU), this problem does not exist.

Three phase systems are very handy for full wave rectification as they generate
six times input frequency ripple which is much easier to filter with much
smaller capacitors!

Without saying, power carrying capacity is much greater when distributed to
3 wires or 3 transformer cores.

We use 3 x 380V for our 2 x QB5/1750 class C QRO at S50L mountain site!

73 de Mario, S56A, N1YU.

Work : Institute "Jozef Stefan"     |  Home : Marijan Miletic'
       Jamova 39, 61111 Ljubljana   |         Trebinjska 8, 61113 Ljubljana
       Slovenia, Europe             |         Slovenia, Europe
Tel. : 386-61-1259-199              |         386-61-342-266
Fax  : 386-61-1258-058              |         386-61-345-569
Email: Marijan.Miletic@IJS.SI       |  Radio: S56A, S57MM @ S50BOX; N1YU