W8CAR ARRL 160 Score

Subject: W8CAR ARRL 160 Score
From: PEMS_ST_DK@noeca.ohio.gov (PEMS_ST_DK@noeca.ohio.gov)
Date: Mon Dec 5 10:03:11 1994
Score with highlights and excuses and problems to follow

Score 318 639 qso pts 51 sections 1(don't laugh!) country
33,228 pts for a part time effort die to operator illness, Xmas party and
generally falling asleep at the key board.

Station:Ts-830s, Alpha 76pa
Antennas: 160 L (60 up 110 over) with elevated radials
          reversable E/W 'shortie' (290ft.) beverage
computer:Ibm 486 w/ct 8.44

Highlights:
1. New qth first time highpower operation- No TVI/RFI (yet!)

2. Elevated radials work beyond expectations - Thanx to Christman,et al.
   for all your work.
3. People could generally hear me EXCEPT YV1OB but he had trouble
with most people
4. Short beverages work on 160 - especially on short haul stuff.
   Almost always better than vertical - did not hear any DX in EU
   Though.
5. Being able to watch the ct ratemeter climb over 150 at times.
6. BIG sigs from NI8L, KN8Z, W2UP (who blew me off a frequency with
   a THUNDER clap of a CQ!) and many others
7. Calling stations that could hear me and not the others calling
   (ego thing!!!!)
Problems:

problems:
1. Had to manually switch between the beverage and vertical.
The 830 has a seperate antenna input but its connected directly and
not not broken on transmit. Has anyone successfully found a way to do this
with a separate relay ? Any input will be helpful. Next radio WILL have
receive ant jack.

2. Heath antenna switches don not like to be switched to ground with
1000 watts into them. A distinct SIZZLE was heard as the keying relay
hung up in transmit and the operator paniced and switched
EVERTHING off. When my heart rate declined to post 911 call level
everything still worked. Again, I need a way to switch between beverage
and vertical.

* W8CAR pems_st_dk@noeca.ohio.gov                                   *
*  Dan Kovatch                                                       *
*  IF IT WEREN'T FOR TVI MOST OF US WOULD NEVER MEET OUR NEIGHBORS!  *
3.